Instead of letting students with a disciplinary problem
sleep in late like on a normal Saturday morning, the Portsmouth School Board
has other plans.
At the meeting on Monday, the School Board proposed a new idea
for students with a disciplinary problem. School Board member Tim Steele wants to
approve a new policy where students who have gotten into trouble during the
week will have to return to school on Saturday morning at 8 a.m. for a four hour
session of detention.
The newly proposed detention session would require about $3,000
extra in the budget to provide staffing to watch over the badly behaved
students.
Portsmouth resident and parent, Peggy Bacon, disagreed with
the proposed idea. “I work six days a
week – including Saturday morning,” she said.
“It’s bad enough to get my son off to school Monday through Friday. Why should I have to worry about Saturday as
well?”
“I know my son isn’t perfect,” Bacon said. “But I’m not going to force him to go. I just don’t think it’ll make any difference,
and the parents are going to pay for it—in higher taxes as well as in ruined
Saturdays.”
Steele believes that the new policy would reduce the number
of in-house suspensions, which involves the misbehaved students to spend a day
of school under supervision in an empty classroom. “I know this isn’t good news for parents, but
I hope the threat of Saturday classes will make the students think twice before
breaking the school rules,” he said.
Portsmouth resident Bob Farley agreed with the
proposal. “Parents can whine all they
want about this, but maybe it’s time parents in America were made to take a
little responsibility for their kids,” Farley said. “Maybe if they have to miss a few Saturday
morning cartoons they’ll start wising up.”
Portsmouth senior, Lisa Gallagher, had another take on the
new rule. “In 12 years of school I’ve
never served a detention, and I don’t intend to,” she said. “But I don’t like this idea. I think it’s
just being done to make life easier for the faculty, so they don’t have to deal
with detentions during the week. Anyway,
what if someone skips the session? What are they going to do, make them stay
all weekend?”
Steele said that if students decide to skip a Saturday
detention session, it would result in the student being unable to return to
school until the detention has been served.
Steele also said that smoking is the worst disciplinary
problem they have in the school. “I just
want to keep students from smoking in the high school bathrooms. There are other problems, but smoking is by
far the biggest one,” Steele said.
The School Board ended up voting 5-3 on the new policy after
plenty of discussion.
Steele was told to return at the next meeting on March 7
with more information regarding in-school detentions so far for the
current school year.
No comments:
Post a Comment