Friday, September 21, 2012

Different Types of Leads

While reading news stories and referring back to the textbook on leads, I realized that there really are many different ways to write them.  One that I found was a story using the delayed identification lead in the New York Times.  I think these work best on stories where crime may be involved, because if the lead only says something like, "A police officer was arrested Friday night," then most people would be likely to keep reading, and want to know which one they are talking about, especially if it were a local story.  Another type of lead I found was a narrative lead in a story about Apple's new IPhone 5 and Samsung.  It would be a narrative lead because the lead is telling a mini-story about what happened last month between the two companies.  I think narrative leads may be good generally in follow up stories, because not everyone reading the follow up story may have read the story before it, so a quick narrative about what the previous problem was would be helpful to readers.  Another lead I found was a question lead which, in the textbook, are told to be avoided because they are weak, irritating stalls.  I think question leads may work in some cases, like in health articles, for instance, if one started off with, "is dark chocolate really healthy for you?" because in that case, people may want to know, and be curious, so they will keep reading the rest of the article to find out the answer, however, in the article I found, I think another lead would have been a better choice because it would be more interesting if the author had just gotten to the point instead of dragging it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment