Friday, November 16, 2012
Libel
Today, it seemed that there was a lot of news going on, however, a story I found on USA Today, http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2012/11/02/amanda-bynes-not-naked-not-troubled-but-very-rich/1677765/?morestories=obnetwork, was the focus of my attention because it goes really well with what we talked about in class a few weeks ago about libel, and what you can say in the media. In this story, popular actress, Amanda Bynes, is reportedly suing InTouch magazine because they reported on her in a tanning salon walking around naked because she forgot a robe. Bynes claims this is not true and is suing for printing a fake story, why InTouch says they stand by their printing. I'm still kind of confused on what the rules are for her doing so, since she is a public figure, but I thought this story was really interesting, mostly because of what we talked about in class. The discussion we had definitely made me think more about celebrity gossip magazines more than others because of what they put out there, for instance, almost every week I see something about the Kardashians, and how Khloe Kardashian and her husband are getting divorced, but they are clearly not getting divorced. I think it's interesting that the rules vary for those in the public eye.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment