Today, I am seeing more and more about Israel/Hamas attacks in the news. It is now the sixth day and according to an article on the LA Times website, there are over 100 deaths now due to the bombings. Another article I found on the site, that was Thanksgiving related, was about the amount of turkey Americans will buy this holiday. Americans will buy 581 million pounds of turkey meat, and waste about a third of it. I thought this was an interesting fact just because of the holiday coming up this week. The article stated that all the wasted turkey is equivalent to enough water to supply NYC for 100 days in greenhouse gas emissions. I thought that this was amazing. I think it is sad how much we waste food here, especially because of all those that are starving.
Today, I decided to also look at a newspaper covering southwest Florida, because my parents have a house in the area so I thought it'd be interesting to look at what is going on. It is funny looking at that newspaper compared to my own local paper because it just seems like so much more goes on. An article I found interesting was about college tuition rates in FL may decrease to try and help out the economy. The article said basically, that the colleges may start to charge different rates per major, and if the prices are lower and more people and go and get jobs, it could help the economy down there again. I thought that this was an interesting concept, especially because FL colleges are already very cheap to go to an in-state school, especially compared to UNH!
No comments:
Post a Comment